8/12/2013

M.A.K.E. Cafe in Santa Monica



I found myself in Santa Monica last week. Which happens to be a great place to find oneself! Colton, (firstborn son) was with me and agreed to try out this raw restaurant that I had read about. He got us there with his navigational skills which is a good thing since I have a talent for getting lost. We each ordered a starter and entree and shared that fabulous lime cheesecake pictured above. It was silky, creamy bliss. I've made a few raw cheesecakes but they always turn out heavier and denser. My new challenge is to make one like Matthew Kenney's. I have thin slices of lemon and orange in the dehydrator right now trying to recreate that beautiful stained glass effect.

Colton ordered this salad with avocado, olives, coconut "bacon", tomatoes and baby greens:



My starter was a kimchee dumpling with a ginger foam. I happen to love kimchee (many years living in Asia) and found this cute little packets delicious. Colton thought they were good but wasn’t a huge fan, which of course means more for me. Love the purple as well!



The black pepper kelp noodles had thin strips of chanterelle with snap peas, olive crumbs and pea vines.  We both liked this one very much. It was filling and creamy with subtle flavors. This could very well end up being comfort food for me.




Colton ordered the flatbread with hummus, jewel box tomatoes, fennel, capers and mint. I was worried it would be a raw “copy” version of hummus that wouldn’t compare to the original. I am happy to report I was dead wrong and once again we both marveled at how good it tasted. The flavors were just perfectly balanced.


I would recommend this restaurant to anyone from a raw foodist to a die-hard carnivore. The only problem is going back to “regular” food that tastes boring in comparison. I’m looking forward to my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment