8/21/2013

Chia Porridge



This was my breakfast this morning. It was DELISH! I made a batch of almond milk yesterday afternoon. Youtube has zillions of good videos on how to make almond milk so I won't bother except to say I like it thick and creamy. I use one cup of almonds to only three cups of water. Most recipes call for a 1:4 ratio of almonds to water. Anyway.... I put about a cup of finished almond milk into a glass pint jar and then added two heaping tablespoons of chia seeds.  The black seeds are more common and they even sell them at Costco now-happy day- but I prefer the white seeds. (I usually order them from Swanson Health Products swansonvitamins.com/chia-seeds-love that company.)  Most American's don't eat a lot of black foods unless we're talking dark chocolate so you may find the lighter ones are more appetizing. I like pretty porridge.

Even though it only take 20 minutes or so to soak the chia into a porridge, I have found the easiest approach for me is to soak my seeds overnight so they are good to go whenever I want breakfast. I take my pretty porridge jar and give it a good stir and a few vigorous shakes after I've screwed the lid on tightly. Don't learn the hard way (like I did) what happens if the lid is not on very well. Chia party in the kitchen. I shake it a few more times in the next five or ten minutes while I'm doing something else, which usually means dishes because my teenagers are trained to disappear as soon as they are done eating. They hear the call of homework and can't resist. At least that's the story they give me.

In the morning I add fruit, sweetener, more almond milk or whatever sounds good. Unless of course cookies or ice-cream in your porridge sounds good, then don't do whatever sounds good. I had added raw honey and vanilla to the almond milk when I made it so I didn't bother to sweeten it any further. I soaked a small handful of gogi berries in just enough water to cover them while I went to the pool. I swam an easy mile this morning and came home hungry. All I had to do was dump the drained gogi berries into the porridge, stir it up and put a handful of blueberries on top. Cinnamon would have been great too, now that I'm thinking about it, but I was hungry and it's just a miracle that I took the picture before the porridge disappeared. You're welcome. Now go and make some yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. i can vouch for the downright deliciousness of this dandy dish. your'e an inspiration to raw foodies everywhere, my san!

    ....mmmmmmmm, yummy. xox

    ReplyDelete