8/21/2012

Cookie Monster on the Loose



Yesterday started out as another great raw day. Then Zoe made these fabulous lemon cookies. I wish I could say that I asked her not to bake them but I had actually pulled the butter out to soften. Part of me said I could handle it. I was feeling pretty confident, which is usually a mistake. (Humbled by my weakness serves me well.) The louder part of me said, “Don’t worry about a few cookies. It’s Sunday, your day off.”  

I made a lovely cashew and raw honey ice-cream with a few drops of orange essential oil in it. I figured that treat would keep me on the straight and narrow raw path. Alas, I discovered that the lemon cookie went beautifully with the orange honey ice-cream. It was a match made in heaven. More like a match made in Hollywood along the lines of Beauty and the Beast. I ate cookies and ice-cream for lunch. Then struggled to get back on track by eating a bunch of kale chips. Then I ate cookies and ice-cream for dinner and again for breakfast this morning. 

The beast was loose and I was having trouble getting him back in his cage. My cookie monster isn’t the cute, blue guy on sesame street. Sometimes he looks cute, and manageable and well trained. But that’s only when he’s locked up. Then I tend to forget about his bad behavior and fool myself into thinking it would be okay to let him loose. Just for a little while, maybe a cookie or two. I’m always quite sure I can get him back in the cage after two cookies. It usually ends up taking me a good two days or more. When will I learn?

Today I alternated my raw meals with cookies and ice-cream. In the evening I went out on my three-mile hiking trail and jogged the entire loop. First time ever! I was trying to burn off excess cookies but was also motivated because I had a late start and I’m scared of the dark. There was one steep down hill that I sort of walked down because I was afraid of twisting an ankle. This point in the trail is really in the middle of nowhere and I was phone-less. It probably would have taken hours before the kids realized I hadn’t come home and gone out to look for me. In fact, there’s a good chance they wouldn’t have missed me at all until breakfast tomorrow morning. But I felt really good on the trail and clocked my best time. Maybe a bowl of cookies and ice-cream is the new breakfast of champions? Aaaaaaaaaaaand maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment