7/16/2012

Raw, Raw, RAW!


Twenty years ago I was living on Lantau Island (Hong Kong) with my husband and two small children. I was sick, sick, sick. I had asthma, allergies and non-existent energy levels. I could barely make it up a flight of stairs without feeling faint. I was tired all the time but couldn’t sleep at night. I was convinced I was loaded with cancer or some other evil, yucky stuff and would most likely fall down dead in the near future. I even cried a few times thinking of how my two babies would grow up not knowing their mother. The doctor prescribed increasingly strong asthma and allergy meds which had their own set of side effects.
One day I took a ferry to the next island over, Peng Chau, to visit my friend Laura. I was explaining my mysterious health condition (most likely in a super whinny voice loaded with self pity) when she grabbed the book, “Fit For Life” off her shelf and told me to read it. Although I protested and argued with Laura about the merits of the diet, I was desperate enough to try anything.
A week later I felt like a new person. My invisible cancer had disappeared.  It was an Ahah! moment for me. I had never before made the connection between what I ate and how I felt.  Over the years I have found that eating a high raw or an all raw diet gives me super powers and rapid weight loss. So, here I go again in my attempt to blog about my raw food experiment. I will not beat myself up for less than 100 percent because I have found that pursuing perfection tends to back fire for me! 
I am also very inspired because my friend Laura is blogging about her raw food goal of losing 100 pounds in 90 days. She’s nearly half way there! For some laughs, insight and inspiration go to: hundredraw.blogspot.com 
Keep up the good work, Laura! 
Raw, Raw, RAW!

1 comment:

  1. So I'm thinking maybe you should stop thinking "30 Days" and starting thinking "30 Years." You want to be dancing thirty years from now? You need to be feeding *that* person today. (And treating her kindly, unlike what your 18-year-old self did to the you that you are today.)

    The 30-day thing feels insurmountable because it's pointless. Thirty days is a steep mountain, and then what? Thirty years is a decision to love yourself the way God loves you. Be kind to Sandi. Feed her properly. Nurture her. For the rest of your life. Stop poisoning her with beef goo. (ie, ice cream.)

    Love you, girly!

    ReplyDelete